Child Adoption Procedure And Law In Pakistan

Child Adoption Procedure And Law In Pakistan

There is no specific law regarding the adoption of a child in Pakistan, simply a verbal consent or an adoptions deed is sufficient. However, to facilitate foreign nationals or those who are residing outside of Pakistan, the practice mentioned below is prevailing in Pakistan.


  1. Adopting a Baby

A medical report (Form ICA) has to be completed by a reputable doctor.

A report has to be written by the adoptive parents containing the following information:

  • Name of child;
  • Date of Birth of child;
  • Place of Birth; and
  • Name and Address of Terminating Parent;
  • A statement detailing:
    i. when adopting parents arrived in Pakistan (if they are foreigners or living in foreign);
    ii. when the baby was given to them; and
    iii. information given by the parents about the baby’s circumstances.


  1. Procedure
  • Filing of Suit For Declaration And Termination Of Parental Rights
  • Notice
  • Submission of adoption deed or get hold of recorded consent of parents
  • Final arguments & decree by the Court


  1. Filing for Guardianship (it is not necessary but favorable)

On receiving the abandonment/declaration certificate, adopting parents shall need to get legal custody of child by applying for guardianship of the child in a civil/ family court in Pakistan under the provisions of the Guardians and Wards Act 1890 (GWA). The procedure for such application is stated in section 10 of the GWA.


  1. Applying for B (Bay) or CRC Form

After getting a guardianship decree from the court, adopting parents will have to obtain a “B” form, also called CRC (Child Registration Certificate), from the offices of National Database and Registration Authority (NADRA) and get a National Identity Card (NIC) number issued for the baby. Once adopting parents have received the “B” form with the NIC number they can apply and get a Pakistani passport made for the child. Parents who reside overseas can apply for a National Identity Card for Overseas Pakistanis (NICOP) for their child.

Rafique Ahmed Mangrio

Author: Rafique Ahmed Mangrio

The writer is working as in-house legal counsel of Pak Telecom Mobile Limited (PTML/Ufone), a Telecom Company owned by Etisalat UAE. Previously he has worked as in-house legal counsel of Pakistan Mobile Communication Limited (PMCL/Mobilink) owned y VipelCom. He has done LL.B (Hons) from International Islamic University, Islamabad and LL.M from Federal Urdu University of Arts, Science and Technology, Karachi. The focus of his practice has been drafting of commercial contracts, corporate compliance, and regulatory compliance, litigation, legal research, legal opinion and advice. He is deeply interested in research on various aspects of prevailing laws in Pakistan. He can be reached at [email protected]