US Judge Drops Saudi Arabia From September 11 Lawsuit
Saudi Arabia has been dropped as a defendant in lawsuits brought by the families of victims of the September 11 attacks. United States District Judge George Daniels claimed that the lawyers had failed to show proper evidence linking the country to the attacks.
Defendant of the Saudi High Commission for Relief of Bosnia & Herzegovina was also dismissed on the grounds that the charity is an instrument of Saudi Arabia and thus covered as well by sovereign immunity.
The lawsuits were brought in 2002 and the lawyers argued that the Sept 11 attacks, which destroyed the World Trade Center and killed several thousand people, had been planned for years by a network of Islamic militants with the assistance of banks, governments and individuals.
The lawyers said they respectfully disagreed with the court’s decision and said that an appeal was in the pipeline.