8th Judicial Conference 2018 – Call For Papers
The Law and Justice Commission of Pakistan (LJCP) under the auspices of National Judicial (Policy Making) Committee is organizing a three-day Judicial Conference on various themes related to law and justice. Holding of Judicial Conferences is a recurring event of LJCP and this year it will be the 8th such event. The Conference will be held on 27-29 April 2018 at the Supreme Court of Pakistan Building, Islamabad. The inaugural and concluding sessions will be chaired by the Honourable Chief Justice of Pakistan and the thematic groups will be chaired by the Honourable Judges of the Supreme Court of Pakistan. There is no participation and registration fee and the speakers shall have a unique opportunity of presenting their papers before the honourable superior judiciary, principal law officers, district judiciary, prosecutors, provincial and federal justice sector stakeholders, etc.
Purpose of the Conference
To provide a forum to the judiciary, legal professionals, justice sector stakeholders, academia, scholars and researchers to share their research, opinions and experiences and most importantly for improving the processes of administration and dispensation of justice in Pakistan. In the Conference, detailed deliberations will also be made upon International Investment Commercial Arbitration and Investment Treaty Arbitration conventions and regimes.
1. Hon’ble Mr. Justice Mushir Alam, Judge, Supreme Court of Pakistan.
2. Hon’ble Mr. Justice Umar Ata Bandial, Judge, Supreme Court of Pakistan.
1. Regional Legal and Economic Integration for Socio Economic Progress;
2. China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC);
- CPEC whether aid, loan or investment?
- CPEC challenges i.e. legal and economic
- Role of CPEC in Economic Prosperity of Pakistan
- Opportunities and threats of CPEC for Domestic Trade and Industry
3. Foreign Direct Investment (FDI);
- FDI and Sovereignty of Host State
- FDI and State Immunity before International Arbitral Tribunals
- Enforcement of Foreign Judgements and Awards
- Corporate Social Responsibility
4. Investment and Commercial Dispute Resolution Mechanism;
- Alternate Dispute Resolution (ADR) Methodologies
- Investment Treaty Arbitration
- Investment Commercial Arbitration
- Domestic Commercial Arbitration
5. Strategy for Delay Reduction and Expeditious Disposal of Backlog of cases;
- Use of Information Technology to Curtail Delays in Court Cases
- Addressing Backlog and Delay by Introducing ADR Mechanisms for Social Justice System (e.g. through Local Body System) / Restorative Justice and Small Cause Matters Bench and Bar Liaison for Effective Dispensation of Justice
6. Defending Human Rights in Commercial and Business Operations;
7. Legal, Judicial Education and Uniform Selection Criteria for Judicial Officers in Pakistan on the pattern of Central Superior Services (CSS); and
8. Relationship of Political and Economic Stability with Revamping of Criminal Justice System;
- Importance of Effective investigation and Impact of faulty investigation in Criminal Justice System
- Money Laundering, White Collar Crime and Anti-Corruption Regimes
- Custodial Killings
- Overcrowding in Jails
9. Legal Aspects of Countering Violent Extremism (CVE) in the list of United Nations Security Council Resolutions (UNSCR) number 2250 & 2354
Call for Papers
Research Papers are invited on the themes mentioned above.
Who can submit?
Judges, Lawyers, Law Officers, Officers of Justice Sector Institutions and of Government/ Semi Government Departments and Corporations, Regulatory Bodies, Academia, Researchers/Scholars, etc.
Publication of Papers
The selected papers will be published in the 8th Judicial Conference Report 2018 published by the Secretariat of Law and Justice Commission of Pakistan, Supreme Court of Pakistan Building, Islamabad.
Guidelines for authors
- Authors will submit their papers.
- Authors of Selected Papers will be invited to present their papers during the 8th Judicial Conference scheduled on 27 to 29 April 2018.
- All papers will be checked for plagiarism.
- The Law and Justice Commission of Pakistan will not bear the boarding and lodging expenses of the speakers.
- Appreciation certificate for presentation of paper may be awarded to the speakers.
- The paper should be an original contribution in accordance with copyright and ethical standards.
- The APA style may be followed for citation and referencing. Further for paper concerning legal matters OSCOLA style and for papers concerning financial matters Harvard may be followed.
- Word limit excluding footnotes and bibliography: 5000 words, the presentation time should not exceed 15 minutes.
- Please provide all the tables, charts, graphs and figures included in the manuscript in an editable MS-Word format.
The editors reserve the right to make modifications and editorial changes in the interest of space, brevity, comprehension and or any other reason deemed necessary.
Important Dates and Event Details
Call for Papers: 16 March 2018
Last date for submission of papers: 9 April 2018
Notification of Acceptance and Invitation: 14 April 2018
Conference: 27 – 29 April 2018
Venue: Supreme Court of Pakistan Building, Islamabad
Focal Person: Mr. Jawad Khan, Joint Secretary (NJPMC)
Email for Submission of Abstracts, Papers and Queries: [email protected]
Fax No: +92-51-9214797